Apple Crisp (GF, V)
Happy Fall Y’all 🍁🍂 It’s officially my favorite month... October. So wanted to share a seasonal favorite with you if you find yourself in the baking mood this weekend... This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, and totally delicious. Details below for this "healthified" apple crisp!
Apple Crisp (GF, V) 🍎
3 medium-large apples (I used honeycrisp), peeled and thinly sliced **try to buy these organic when possible**
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1-2 tbsp almond or coconut flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1–2 tablespoons water (optional)
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ cup blanched almond flour
2 Tbsp coconut flour
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with coconut oil and aside.
2. In a large bowl, add all filling ingredients (apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond/coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract). Stir and fold together until apples are fully coated and sugar has dissolved. If your mixture isn’t very wet, add in 1-2 Tablespoons of water so you can see a small amount at the bottom of the mixing bowl
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan, and smooth apples into an even layer.
4. Add all topping ingredients to a medium bowl. Stir until crumbles form. Gently spoon evenly over apples, making sure to keep crumbles intact.
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes (mine took 45). The topping should be a deep golden brown and the juice around the filling should have thickened. If juices are still at bottom of dish, bake for another 5 minutes or so.
6. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 5-10 more minutes.
Serve with dairy-free ice cream of choice! (I used Nada Moo)... Enjoy!